caustik's blog

programming and music

Cxbx Progress

with 77 comments

There was some amount of activity in a private branch in the Cxbx project recently..

I have been talking to a developer, Martin, who has spent some of his extra time fiddling with Cxbx. He was able to get some teaser screenshots from Battlestar Galactica. The game displays the menu, and even some in-game. I won’t get into too many details, but here are a couple screenshots.

Battlestar Galactica - menu 2 Battlestar Galactica - menu 3

Battlestar Galactica - in-game (fullscreen) Battlestar Galactica - in-game (windowed)

I have not started to work on Cxbx on a regular basis — but I think this progress is very motivating, and it is tempting me to boot back up my development setup and take another look after a very long absence.

Many thanks to Martin for the contributions and for allowing me to post about his progress. Cheers.

Written by caustik

September 25th, 2007 at 5:05 pm

Posted in Cxbx,Hacking,Programming

Tagged with , , , ,

77 Responses to 'Cxbx Progress'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Cxbx Progress'.

1. Thats very great news. Hope to see some more development and maybe a small release :-)

retroK

26 Sep 07 at 11:52 am

2. Wow!! Just great! :) :) :)

ShAddiX

26 Sep 07 at 3:05 pm

3. I’d be very interested in helping either of you in the development. Who should I contact for more info?

_Hyde_

26 Sep 07 at 3:17 pm

4. _Hyde_ – you can email me for more info

caustik

26 Sep 07 at 3:21 pm

5. hey Caustik, nice news :) you should speak to a guy who goes by the nickname “blueshogun96″ on ngemu, if you look in the cxbx section, he has been doing some work on the kernel etc, so he might have some stuff done the other guy hasnt! It all helps i suppose :)

refraction

26 Sep 07 at 4:12 pm

6. I admit I have not been keeping up to date on the forums. I do know blueshogun94. I will have to take a look and see what he has been up to. I am happy to have help.

caustik

26 Sep 07 at 4:34 pm

7. Here I am!!! Great to see you back. I’ve got almost a years worth of information, updates/fixes and new findings (i.e. new XDK support, MANY new additions to the Kernel, etc.) to share. Although I’ve only made progress with 3 games, I still think I could be a useful contributor. A lot of new situations have come up lately and I want to tell you what they are because some thing only you know how to do. A very rare situation has come up with the game Blood Wake and I think you might want to see it for yourself.

I’ve been meaning to contact you via this email address: xbox@caustik.com, every time I mail to it I get an email telling me it’s full. Is there another email address where you can be contacted at? If so, let me know because I am also willing to lend further assistance with Cxbx. Cheers!

blueshogun96

26 Sep 07 at 6:01 pm

8. Shoot me an email my handle at gee mail (I hate spam email parsers)

caustik

26 Sep 07 at 6:05 pm

9. Hello blueshogun96, i have seen some of your code fixes on NGEMU, and i think i posted in the Unreal Championship thread to. I think it would be good to get as mutch help we can get :), so shoot me a pm on NGEMU and i will fill you in on the stuff i have been doing.

Martin_sw

26 Sep 07 at 6:13 pm

10. Oh, one more thing, I can resume working on Cxbx as soon as I can fix my WinXP x86-32 partition on my PC.

blueshogun96

26 Sep 07 at 6:22 pm

11. […] More info available at this CXBX post. […]

12. I can’t wait to see some new stuff in the sourceforge trunk. I’m going to have a look at what’s in there now. (Had stopped looking a while back, never saw Martin’s branch) I’ve been a very minor contributor in the past but if I can provide anything to help in the project I sure will.

Zomby

27 Sep 07 at 6:37 am

13. It’s great to see you back Zomby! It looks like the old team and old friends are starting to unite again! Hope to get many Xbox exclusive titles working sometime!

blueshogun96

27 Sep 07 at 2:41 pm

14. Wow. I had though that the entire xbox emu scene had dried up. I’m very happy to hear this news, give thanks to Martin ( and Caustic for the update ). Also super happy to see the old-school scene names here. Cheers :).

XsTatiC

28 Sep 07 at 11:10 pm

15. Hi.

Just so you know i and others are interested in this one.. Keep up the great work.

Drewster

Drewster

29 Sep 07 at 2:03 am

16. I was quite following this when it first came out and was totaly convinced the concept was the right way to do xbox emulation. I’m totaly thrilled it’s not dead yet and came back to life! Keep up the good work!

Hell Hound

29 Sep 07 at 4:39 am

17. I’ve been following CXBX for forever, I kept checking the website even years after the last update =). I’d be thrilled if you decide to start up the project again. PS2 and GC emulaion is so advanced, why not XBox =)

Bennett

29 Sep 07 at 8:51 am

18. Holy S***!

Great job, man!

Keep up the good work!

Daniel

29 Sep 07 at 10:46 am

19. This is incredible. Between this and the XBMC-linux tree starting to become reasonable, we could be looking at a full port of an xbox system to some serious hardware. Imagine running XBMC-linux WITH .xbe support for games! It just a matter of time and serious hardwork by you guys. Thanks a million!

Writhing.Shad0w

29 Sep 07 at 11:51 am

20. @Bennett, you asked, “PS2 and GC emulaion is so advanced, why not XBox =)”

XBox is harder to emulate then both PS2 and GC, both HLE and LLE wise, believe it or not.

blueshogun96

29 Sep 07 at 4:31 pm

21. The total HLE approch of cxbx makes it even harder I guess. Wrapping the whole win2k kernel + all XDK certainly isn’t that much fun ^_^ I imagine XBMC running under cxbx would be THE killer app. All the goodness of XBMC with the raw power of modern X86 CPUs!

Hell Hound

30 Sep 07 at 2:22 am

22. Would XBMC emulation be harder or easier than games? Considering it doesn’t access all of the GPU’s resources I would say easier, but I’m no programmer.

I’d prefer going this route, as opposed to the Linux port, since having a Linux machine under my HDTV is not exactly my dream… with Windows I could access more games.

Ashlar

30 Sep 07 at 3:04 am

23. hi guys, ive been following emulation since 2005, mostly because -until 2006 -i didnt own a single console.

I have a Vista-based(will install XP eventually) PC with a Celeron D 3.33 GHz CPU, GeForce 7600 GS on PCI-e x16 with 512 MB DDR2 vRAM, and 1 GB of DDR2 system ram(2 GB if you consider 1 GB of USB flash memory used for ReadyBoost).

if you need a tester, please shoot me an email (jakebiggs at gmail dot com)

i have 34 xbox games i can use for compatibility testing. i know the celeron isnt a powerful processor, but im sure it would still run some games. i use a 19″ widescreen monitor at 1440×900. so i guess i could help with possible widescreen support too. i also use a phillips 5.1 surround system(right now im using Dolby ProLogic+II until i get a dedicated PCI sound card with optical/or coaxial out.

It’s awesome to see more work being done on this emulator, especially when the 360’s security is close to being cracked, to run homebrew. if we can’t use the 360’s XB1 emulator, im sure a CXBX port would do. :D

Jake Turner

30 Sep 07 at 5:23 pm

24. XBMC should be easier, in theory, then a retail game – since we have the full source code available. Makes it much easier to add all the API hijacks that are necessary.

Cxbx would be funny to see on an Xbox 360 hehe. I will shoot you an email when we need testing.

caustik

30 Sep 07 at 7:08 pm

25. Your and other programmers work never ceases to amaze me!

BigIg

1 Oct 07 at 5:03 am

26. On the CXBX page, you did not update the year. There are 2 posts for 09.25.06, one of which I believe is referring to this post.

apexad

1 Oct 07 at 10:59 am

27. Woops. You’re right – fixed :)

caustik

1 Oct 07 at 11:24 am

28. wow I never gave up whishing for the day, u would all start again! “CXBX runing on 360 with full 3 core gpu what a dream that would be” rock on guys !!!

Demon5000

3 Oct 07 at 9:32 am

29. Im very interested in see in how this turns out in the end.

Nextis

12 Oct 07 at 10:27 pm

30. wow! this really is good news! ive also been (and is) a big fan of this project for a long time :-)
    …among all the x86 projects ppl are working on (like dosbox and the porting of “mac os x” to regular pc’s), cxbx must be the most fascinating cause of the real hardware differences…

i wish i knew how to reverse engineer the mainboardchipsets and graphicchips of the xbox so i could help, but unfortunatly i dont even know c++ too well, and even less asm/machinecode

LastNinja

19 Oct 07 at 10:57 pm

31. It’s such fun to see developers reuniting so casually. Hope we’ll see some results.

Onsokumaru

25 Oct 07 at 3:57 pm

32. I think the main purpose of the cxbx emulator should be run NINJA GAIDEN on the PC. You should be focus on do that. Keep up the work.

Albert

22 Nov 07 at 8:51 am

33. […] check the blog and you will see, that the latest progress was at the end of september. Cxbx Progress « caustik’s blog __________________ Visit my […]

34. I have a question:
    Why is the version on http://sourceforge.net only “0.7.8c” when if you get the directory listing of your website :P you can get “0.8.0-pre2″ ?

Darbness

9 Dec 07 at 9:40 pm

35. Dude, when are you gonna put up a news article on your CXBX website stating that you and some other programmers mentioned here are now active in the project and developing the CXBX emulator? I’m getting a new PC most likely in two days, and it’s REAL powerful! Come on, I can play the PC games, plus the PS2 games on the PCSX2 emulator, but where’s the working XBOX emulator??? Every console doesn’t deserve to be forgotten in the emulator community, and neither does the Xbox, too!

ObiKKa

19 Dec 07 at 1:00 pm

36. Bennet you asked if GC and PS2 is so advanced, then, why no xbox? ok let me answer that question: this guys that created the only known xbox emulators(cxbx and xeon) did it so fast and we all know it works and they CAN release an emulator that works with most of the games; they can do it, but i wonder how much micro$oft paid them to stop the development, cause just a stupid will beleive that just halo and turok evo are able to be emulated AND those games are already ported to PC, therefore that wouldnt affect M$. this is crap! xbox is a PC, dressed like a console. they can emulate it, otherwise the xbox 360 wouldnt be emulating it.

Hector

24 Dec 07 at 6:50 am

37. Meh! Hector.

Good luck guys with your development. Have some fun while developing.
    Drink some beer and enjoy yourselves :)

Merry Christmas and a Happy new year

Mad

24 Dec 07 at 11:47 am

38. hey nice to hear some near to recent xbox emulation. Good luck hope you keep working on it ;) :D

CSSDude

6 Jan 08 at 1:10 pm

39. hey, caustik. i just downloaded cxbx 0.7.8c and i dont no where to find roms! where might i be able to download roms? and dont say limewire or ares

Z3AI0T

7 Jan 08 at 8:58 pm

40. ^ Let me tell you some things

1. 0.7.8c is not the latest version of Cxbx. Go to the news page and download 0.8.0.
    2. You should have read this text above the download link before asking questions about roms:

“Do not email the authors asking questions concerning when games will be supported, and do not email asking how you can find games! Your email will be deleted, you’ll look like an idiot, and you will be wasting both of our time.”

Caustik will not reply to requests for illegal material such as commercial games. You can download homebrew games at #xbins though.

blueshogun96

8 Jan 08 at 3:21 pm

41. If you need beta test, shoot me a line by my e-mail

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
    2.01 Ghz, 2.00GB Of Ram
    Nividia Geforece 8600 GT (Plays halo 2 PC nice on vista DX10)

yolarry

8 Jan 08 at 3:52 pm

42. Hi!

why won’t run neighbours from hell xbox at cxbx? X(

NTA

19 Feb 08 at 7:15 am

43. I wonder if Unreal Championship 2 can be played soon…

Someone tried to run UC2 on Xeon 1.0, renaming Halo.ini into Unreal Championship 2.ini, but after loading there are nothing but the Xeon itself…

I tried to run UC2 on the latest version of Cxbx but nothing can be played…

I hope you could find the way to emulate it, at least playable, for I’m using a computer that was only a P4 3.0GHz (Single Core, however) with 512MB memory.

Larry

21 Feb 08 at 4:39 am

44. In Cxbx 0.8.0-Pre2 the game shows the following thing when opening the game:

————————————————
    CxbxKrnl

EmuMain (0x14E0): Received Fatal Message:

* EmuD3DDeferredTextureState was not found!
    ————————————————

I’m afraid there are not only this problem in emulating this game…

Larry

21 Feb 08 at 5:05 am

45. Is the project dead?

Bugal

11 Apr 08 at 11:13 pm

46. hey, how does this emulator work, i finished building my first gaming comp. it has an 8600 vid card and a duo 2 core processor. and a lot of xbox games. im not much for a controller player anymore so i wanted to get my games on to my comp. help plz

Omega

14 Apr 08 at 6:34 pm

47. I hope the next version will be able to play Yu-gi-oh the dawn of destiny. It’ll be great.

bll1301

13 May 08 at 8:17 am

48. There’s so many great XBox games that I’d love to play on my computer! Great work, keep it up!

z4xx0r

22 May 08 at 8:30 pm

49. Hi, hope too see this emulator fully working before I die. ;-)
    Anyway nice work!!!

Ildemond

26 May 08 at 1:30 pm

50. to wait for months CAUSTIK’S put him to win this project … : D thanks to all those working on it … bye

Luis Mendoza

28 Jun 08 at 3:47 pm

51. …..soooooo what happening?

Shade

21 Jul 08 at 3:28 am

52. Things have slowed down a bit because we’re just busy IRL. I’m trying to move back to the west (closer to Caustik actually!) and that requires alot of attention. I got to work on this 2 days ago, but nothing major.

blueshogun96

21 Jul 08 at 4:24 pm

53. Hello my friend, excuse for my bad English, please no stop tre CXBX projectthe, xbox has many good games, SOUL CALIBUR 2, DEAD OR ALIVES, BLOODY ROARS, ….
    GOGOGO CXBX ^^ thanks

YUSUKE

23 Jul 08 at 8:40 pm

54. Hello. I’m a portuguese man, and my english it’s not much good.

CxBX it’s a great program, and i think this project should move forward … I liked playing GTA IV in my pc with this program ;P

Carvalho

28 Jul 08 at 10:55 am

55. Hey, I’m a Computer Engineering student and would like to get in on CXBX, as I love the xbox and would like to be able to play the games on my PC. Please contact me, anyone working with Caustik on this project, I would love to help. Hope to hear back soon :)

Ciduxek

4 Aug 08 at 3:59 pm

56. Hey why am i not abled to start fifa street 2 with this emu? even with dxbx i am not abled to run it :-( :-( :-( please help me.

Radiergimmy

8 Aug 08 at 12:05 pm

57. I can not find the .xbe file. I am running with the original CD, and the only thing that I appear for video files are

:S

I need help …

sorry for my bad english, but i’m a portuguese ;P

Michael Phelps olé ;p

Carvalho

21 Aug 08 at 1:55 pm

58. Carvlho, its ur DVD drive and u cant play GTA IV with this Emulator so stop getting peoples hopes up

Cxbx

1 Sep 08 at 3:20 am

59. I want to give a hand but unfortunately are not practical about these things ….
    Guys beg you do your best I’m looking forward to being able to play Oddworld: Munch Odysee

endless thanks to the creators dell’emulatore and thanks for having started this project I only regret not being able to help…

P.S.
    sorry for my bad english hope you can understand

Oddworld fan XD

6 Sep 08 at 10:56 am

60. “endless thanks to the creators of “the emulator” sorry for the error XD

61. Pois é …. isso tá andando ainda ?………ou ta parado , quando vamos ter uma atualização de jogável……?????????? Sei que você não vai entender nada porque sou brasileiro.. e tava com preguiça de colocar tudo isso em inglês…

Rafae

2 Oct 08 at 1:28 pm

62. where can i find roms for my cxbx emulator????

HaloGod96

8 Oct 08 at 5:21 pm

63. Eh.. Are you playing with my unrelated waste I have a nice joke for you) What’s the difference between an oral thermometer and a rectal thermometer? The taste.

BaIlliacy

27 Oct 08 at 1:05 am

64. nice post, Thank for this reference

65. Hello webmaster
    I would like to share with you a link to your site
    write me here preonrelt@mail.ru

Alexwebmaster

3 Mar 09 at 1:51 am

66. hello i am tryng to run yu gi oh dawn of desteny but when i do it says yu gi oh dawn of desteny but when i prest start it shows a black screen then it says not responding and nothing hapend enyone can help me with this ? or tell me when the next version is coming and will it be aible to run yu gi oh
    thanks

spasko

24 Mar 09 at 3:06 am

67. Очень понравилось, даже не ожидала.

Diunny

16 Apr 09 at 2:54 pm

68. oriclub

oricluber

5 Jun 09 at 9:44 pm

69. This keeps showing LDT Changing error. What can I do?
    OS : Windows 7 Beta build 7100 (x64)

Detailed error:
    —————————
    CxbxKrnl
    —————————
    Emu (0x950): Recieved Fatal Message ->

Could not set LDT entries
    —————————
    확인
    —————————

ks

14 Jun 09 at 5:05 am

70. @ks: Cxbx is not supported on 64-bit windows. Only works on 32-bit versions.

blueshogun96

28 Jul 09 at 3:57 pm

71. hi blues and caustik good luck with cxbx progress and new opengl dll is upcoming …
    thanks and greetings

richard

8 Nov 09 at 9:30 am

72. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!! COOOOL!!! :D
    can’t Wait Until It Comes!!!
    I Wish This Could FULLY Run Oddworld Munch’s Oddysee For Xbox! :D
    Keep Going With The Good Work Man! ;)

DJ9000DEVIL

26 Nov 09 at 12:20 am

73. Ninja Gaiden dragon sword and ninja gaiden black for xbox bolth work on cbox just follow instuction and be willing to dig out xbe with whatever means nessasary Ie iso exstraction tool not listed get rid of google if your searching for xbox original mod I use Copernic as a reall search engine they do not black list and filter you internet keeping quiet for now cbox needs a contribution site I used some of there code along with gearbox and magic iso with driver mods from xbox firmware glitchy gitchy goo but it works

Jarred

26 Dec 09 at 8:53 pm

74. Oh and cbox does work on 64 bit vista use compatibilty 32 bit control panel option turn off user control and the ninja gaiden sigma is a version of the xbox 1 ps3 is a joke

Jarred

26 Dec 09 at 8:56 pm

75. Thanks for the information. XBMC is the best media player..Ever!

Terry Murray

26 Jan 10 at 5:32 am

76. i want to play xbox games on my pc i dont know where to start so please HELP !
    is it possible to play ninja blade on cxbx
    please replay